Wednesday 28 May 2014

J'adore Marie Antoinette

Hello dear friends.  Those of you who visit often will know about my altered book round robin and the latest book to arrive with me was themed Marie Antoinette.  The owner of the book asked for elegant, frilly and over the top so this is what I came up with.  My first page was inspired by a quote said to be the response when a sympathiser told Marie Antoinette to "have courage" on the way to the guillotine.

"Courage!  I have shown it for years.  Think you I shall lose it at the moment when my sufferings are to end?"

The background was made with Fresco chalk paints over a gesso'd surface with some ripped text paper, the main image and texture paste added through stencils.  Some stamping and metallic wax came next and then the key fastened on with some wire.  The pearl embellishment added a bit of bling at the side.

It was sad reading about the young girl married to the future king of France at age 14 especially when I read a little piece about her being credited with the invention of the handkerchief which inspired my second spread.
Click on the image to enlarge the writing so you can read the story.  The book pages at the bottom are a prayer written for her soul at the time of her death.  The beading along the bottom was a piece of upholstery trim which will hang nicely from the bottom of the book.  I liked the way the piece of lace tucked into the side of the dress in this spread - here's a better picture.

and the little crown I made with tiny beads here

Really enjoyed working on these two pages and the book will soon be on its way to Australia.  Thanks so much for popping in to see me.  I do appreciate it.  Margie x




1 comment:

  1. The pages are so beautiful Margie and I really loved reading the little story of the handkerchief. It was certainly not an easy life in those days. I think the owner of the book is going to love these sumptuous pages! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete